banner image
Sedang Dalam Perbaikan

The Shoelace Paradox



Some brand categories are very low engagement. Toothpicks. 3-prong converters. Cotton balls. Sugar. Combs. Whistles. 

Consumers aren't deeply engaged in every category, every brand and every product. They can’t be. Think of a swimming pool. Your brand is either at the deep end of caring, the shallow end or in the middle based on the occasion. 

I may love my iPhone. I may be an avid Starbucks fan. I may be over the top for Target.  I might really enjoy drinking Travaglini Gattinari wine or Laphroaig Single Malt Whisky. 

But sometimes, I don’t care about your category or brand at all - or at best very little. The brakes and battery in my car are vital to my well-being but as Rhett Butler said, Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. 

Shoelaces have always been my default metaphor. Do you know what brand of shoe lace are in your sneakers or shoes? Do you care? 

Unless you have a problem with a shoelace that rips or brakes apart, they probably aren't top of mind. If you need to replace them, you might spend 18 seconds focused on the brands in the category at the store. 18 seconds. I noticed only one brand in my local grocery store - Kiwi. There wasn't even a private label brand 

From this marketer's viewpoint, shoelaces are the poster child for low category engagement.

Until now.

Powered by Blogger.