banner image
Sedang Dalam Perbaikan

Risky Marketing Business

 Years ago I had a boss, Dick Miller, who was the President of our snack food company (Goodmark Foods). He was a marketing guy so we worked well together and I got to learn quite a lot from him. He was always open to wild and crazy ideas that pushed our marketing toward uncomfortable edges. 

Looking back on it, one thing stood out from the hundreds of conversations we had about our marketing approach.

 "If you aren’t making me, as the President, a little uncomfortable, you probably aren’t taking enough risks." 

Marketing is often about experiments that help you learn and recalculate your approach. You can’t just do the same old thing over and over in a changing market.  Testing the waters and trying new things was critical to continuous growth because competitors get smarter, competitive product offerings get better and things don’t stand still. 

I approached Dick with a new ad campaign to reach our irreverent teenage male target with the phrase "Eat Me". It was an obvious double entendre and was a perfect call to action. I remember his response, I'm really not sure how our friends at Wal-Mart, Costco or Target will feel about this. But our job is to get product off the shelf. If I'm a little uncomfortable, that may be a good sign that we will get noticed. 


Powered by Blogger.