banner image
Sedang Dalam Perbaikan

Croatia vs Czechia, 95:91

Because of the renovation and other work, I can't post much. Croatia was elected as a temporary member of the U.N. security council, together with Libya, Vietnam, Burkina Faso, and Costa Rica. Costa Rica beat the Dominican Republic while Croatia has defeated Czechia: it was the closest race.

As I previously indicated, a membership of some Czech bureaucrats in this body is one of the last thing I would care about. Moreover, I have virtually nothing against Croatia. It was the most popular destination of Czech tourists and I have been there many times. Some people have been to dozens of hotels in Zagreb, Croatia, too. However, the Czechs are getting pretty rich so many of them start to choose more luxurious destinations.



Figure 1: Krk, Croatia

Nevertheless, Croats remain the culturally closest people to the Czechs who have access to a nice sea! ;-) Croats were the Yugoslavs who were (and are) always closer to fascism than communism. But because Croats were not those who were doing the worst crimes during the war, I am far from certain whom I would support in the context of battles in Yugoslavia 65 years ago or so.




Back to 2007.

While Czechia has received 91 votes, Croatia has gotten 95 votes. Some diplomats have suggested that Václav Klaus' skeptical speech about the climate could have added a few votes for Croatia that could have changed the final result. I find it perfectly plausible that a few votes were changed in this way while other votes could have been influenced by other events. But the membership in this body is the first thing I would sacrifice for my president's right to say what he thinks in the U.N. headquarters.

If our representatives were not speaking their mind but rather a sequence of universal colorless politically correct clichés, why would we care who is elected anyway? Despite all these speculations, Karel Schwarzenberg, the Czech secretary of state, assumed responsibility for the "U.N. flop". Given the fact that it is not necessarily "purely" his fault, I find his reaction generous. This is the kind of behavior expected from decent aristocracy and I feel that I would enjoy certain aspects of feudalism although most others could have been pretty annoying! :-)

This posting as well as the previous posting may be used for a general discussion about climate and politics.
Croatia vs Czechia, 95:91 Croatia vs Czechia, 95:91 Reviewed by MCH on October 17, 2007 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.